Friday, August 10, 2012

Reading and the Digital Age

I recently read an interesting online article about how reading trends, what people are reading, and how often they're reading, are influencing their time spent reading books. With the advent of social media on the internet and all the portable electronic devices available, perhaps time spent reading has increased. What about time spent reading books? Does anyone have the attention span these days to read War and Peace? With all the twittering, blogging, email, and FB, who has extended (undistracted) time and inclination to read the latest Pulitzer prize winner? The argument could be made that people are reading more than ever because they have more available at the tap of a screen, via ereaders and ipad.
For me, I choose not to watch television. I average ten books checked out from the Taos Public and three books loaded on my Kindle. I can't manage to read everything! But I am reading more than I used to five years ago. I know my time limits for FB and other enticing internet based sites so that I have time to read the next great novel. Despite the ease of reading many books on Kindle, I have no intention of giving up hardcover books.
What about you? How have your reading habits changed, if at all? Are you a frequent visitor at the Taos Public? We'd love to hear what your comments are!

No comments:

Post a Comment